JAZZSCHOOL YOUNG MUSICIANS PROGRAM AUDITION INFORMATION
2012 – 2013
Students interested in joining a spring-term performance ensemble should fill out an application here. You will be contacted to schedule a placement audition.
Jazzschool Young Musicians Program ensembles require a three quarter commitment (fall, winter, spring). Students that cannot commit to a full school year are still accepted, however priority will be given to students that can commit for the entire school year.
General Placement Audition Requirements
Students should plan on performing two skill-level appropriate jazz standards, improvise over a 12-bar blues (if the student is comfortable) or rhythm changes (for high school students only) and sight-read. To schedule an audition, please fill out an application online. After your application is received, you will be contacted within 1–2 weeks with an audition time. Auditions are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis and will be scheduled at the earliest available time.
New this year! This year students are able to submit their audition online! Students may submit a video online rather than scheduling a face-to-face audition. Students that submit their audition online are still required to fill out an online application. On the application form, applicants should check off live audition or video submission. Please note: Online video submissions are not available for the Studio Bands or Advanced High School Jazz Workshops.
Instructions for Online Video Submissions:
- Student should be clearly visible (and audible) on the video.
- Perform two skill-level appropriate jazz standards. Please state the name of each piece before you play it.
- Download one of the two improvisation tracks from the website (located below) for the improvisation portion of your audition. Two choruses required.
- On the video, it is important that your playing is heard louder than anything else, including any accompanying tracks.
Piano and Guitar Players:
Follow the above instructions with only one change: after improvising, please demonstrate comping/voicings on a blues or rhythm changes.
- On your video, you will need to demonstrate the following styles: swing, bossa nova, funk/rock.
- On each style you will need to demonstrate each style at various tempos (i.e. slow, medium, fast)
- On each style/tempo you should “trade fours” with yourself (4 bars of time, 4 bars of solo, etc)
After you have completed your video, upload your audition to YouTube and title the video with your name (Example: John Smith Jazzschool Audition). You should make this a private video (unless you don’t mind it being available to the public). Once the video is uploaded, send a link to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also upload the video to a private website and email a link. Please do not email audition videos as attachments!
Studio Band Audition Requirements
Please check back for Fall 2013 audition requirements.
Advanced High School Jazz Workshop Audition Requirements
Applicants should prepare 3 selections: 1 up-tempo piece (Lazy Bird or similar), 1 funk/latin/straight 8th or odd meter piece,1 ballad. Please bring 3 lead sheets of each tune for adjudicators/accompanists. Applicants will also be asked to sight-read a melody and solo on a piece to be provided at the audition.