“The Jazzschool has quickly turned into a major educational presence in the Bay Area, with a faculty drawn from the region’s finest musicians. It contributes to the creation of a burgeoning jazz corridor in downtown Berkeley.” – DownBeat Magazine
The Jazzschool aspires to be an internationally-recognized preeminent music conservatory dedicated to the study and performance of jazz and related styles of music from throughout the world that educates future generations to sustain the jazz art form.
The Jazzschool is a music conservatory providing a dynamic community of students, artists, educators, scholars and audiences with a forum to study, perform, teach, research, appreciate and enjoy jazz and related styles of music from throughout the world. Comprising two distinct education programs, the Jazzschool Institute, a postsecondary degree-granting program, and the Jazzschool Community Music School, a non-degree-granting community education program, the Jazzschool honors the contributions of past masters and promotes artistic innovation, bringing together a diverse music community to develop practical skills, acquire artistic sensibility, realize creative potential and find artistic voice.
The Jazzschool Institute
The Jazzschool Institute is dedicated to the study and performance of jazz and related styles of music from throughout the world, fostering the development of the aspiring professional jazz musician and building audiences to sustain the jazz art form. The Jazzschool Institute integrates a progressive education program taught by world-class musicians and music educators with public performance opportunities to prepare future generations for a fulfilling life in jazz.
The Jazzschool Community Music School
The Jazzschool Community Music School fosters the development of the aspiring jazz musician of all ages and levels and builds audiences to sustain the jazz art form through an education program integrating classes, short-term workshops, artists-in-residency, and public performance opportunities.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The following five goals and corresponding objectives serve to guide the Jazzschool institution:
1. PROMOTING EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION
The Jazzschool strives to promote excellence in music scholarship and performance by:
- Establishing and maintaining the highest artistic and academic standards and promoting a strong work ethic.
- Providing an educational forum on par with nationally-ranked institutions offering programs in jazz studies that attracts and retains a world-class faculty and inspired student body.
- Providing a comprehensive curriculum and supportive environment to develop artistic sensibility and musicological insight relevant to the aspiring jazz professional and the jazz enthusiast.
- Providing a forum to exercise freedom of expression both individually and as a member of a group in the democratically-structured paradigm of the jazz ensemble.
- Maintaining a state-of-the-art, aesthetically pleasing, one-stop-shopping-for-jazz facility, housing classrooms, practice rooms, intimate performance space, book and record store, and café.
2. FOSTERING HIGH ETHICAL STANDARDS
The Jazzschool strives to foster high ethical standards by:
- Providing an environment that promotes the development of well-balanced, conscientious, compassionate, forward-looking individuals who will contribute to a just society.
3. HONORING HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL HERITAGE
The Jazzschool strives to honor the historical and cultural heritage of the jazz canon by:
- Recognizing the historical and multicultural origins of jazz.
- Highlighting the prominent role the jazz art form has played in shaping American history and culture.
- Offering curricula designed to inform and develop an appreciation of the relationship between jazz and American culture and the global jazz diaspora.
4. NURTURING DIVERSITY IN ALL OF ITS FORMS
The Jazzschool strives to create a diverse, all-inclusive, close-knit community by:
- Seeking and embracing the cultural richness of a diverse constituency of students, faculty, staff and greater music community.
- Implementing targeted community outreach efforts and providing scholarship opportunities to deserving students in need of financial assistance.
- Providing a nurturing environment for students, teachers, scholars and artists in the jazz field.
- Providing an inviting setting for family, friends, and the greater music community to celebrate students’ accomplishments and enjoy listening to jazz in its many forms.
5. DEVELOPING COLLABORATIONS
The Jazzschool strives to build relationships and create collaborations with artistic and educational constituencies by:
- Providing access to local, national and global perspectives and new and meaningful educational and artistic resources.
- Creating opportunities for student and faculty exchanges with music education programs locally, nationally and internationally.